For Valentine's Day, Jackson got $10 in the mail from Mamawk. A few months ago, I opened a savings account at the bank for Jackson, more or less, so we have a place to put his money. The kid doesn't want for anything, so we figured we would take all his money and start saving. Who knows, one day he might want to buy himself a car!! So rather than me taking his $10 dollars and putting it away until I ran to the bank the next time, I told Jackson that I would take him to the bank and he could deposit the money himself.
Well, a promise is a promise. Yesterday, I didn't have a lot that needed to be done at work, so I decided to take Jackson to work with me. I spend the last two weeks in Piqua and wanted to spend time with him a little bit. So we made a date to go to the bank and mommy's work, BMF, on Saturday. Saturday morning he was excited to go, and then he wasn't, but we went anyway. So we went to work first, since the bank wasn't open yet. We spend couple of hours there. Jackson made a total mess of my office. I should have taken a picture of that, but I didn't think to. He also said hi to everyone in the office that he saw, except for Auntie Jen and Monica, who are the two people that probably know him the best. Thankfully, he even said hi to Rick, the managing partner!! He was super cute. He ran away twice and got "lost." I think he was scared, but I could hear him the whole time.
After work, we took off for the bank. I got Jackson's $10 out of my purse, which had been hanging on the refrigerator door until that morning. We walked into the bank. Yup, I said we went INTO the bank. No drive-thru. There was quite a line when we got there, but after all those Friday's at Holiday World, Jackson is pretty good at waiting in line. I filled out the deposit ticket for $10 and gave both the ticket and the $10 to Jackson. He waiting patiently in line. Talking really loudly, which is okay too. No one seemed to mind.
When it was our tune, Jackson walked up to the counter. Of course, it is really tall, so I had to pick him up. He told the "lady" that he wanted to put his money in the bank with his other money. He was happy to say it, but a little reluctant to actually GIVE the money to the "lady." He finally did. It was awesome. When his transaction was complete, the teller or "lady" gave Jackson a receipt and a pink sucker. I think Jackson will like going to the bank so long as they give him a sucker after he completes his transaction.
I kinda felt like a modern day Mr. Banks making my kid put the $10 in the bank. Seemed silly do it, but it's never to early to teach him the importance of saving his money. Hopefully as he gets older, he will be happy that we saved his cash money AND we started a college fund for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment